It’s hard to believe that my favorite food is strawberries, and yet I’d never made homemade strawberry shortcake until this week. I’ve topped store bought cakes or ice cream with delicious strawberries, but I’ve never taken the time to make shortcake for my favorite food.
However, at the Strawberry Festival in Ocala on March 1st, the First United Methodist Church of Ocala made and sold homemade Buttermilk Strawberry Shortcake for the Habitat for Humanity fundraiser. A recipe card was given with each purchase so after nearly a month, I finally got around to making a shortcake worthy of the sweet, delicious fruit topping.
While not difficult, purchasing ingredients like buttermilk, heavy cream, and turbinado sugar (something I’d never heard of before) make the recipe rather pricy, but one I’d highly recommend. And since you’ll need to buy a cup of heavy whipping cream, you may as well make some homemade whipped cream as well.
Buttermilk Strawberry Shortcake
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup chilled unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 Tbsp heavy cream
- 1/4 cup turbinado sugar
- 8 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 425º.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, 1/3 cup white sugar, and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Cut the cold butter into the flour mixture with a knife or pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in buttermilk until the flour mixture is moistened.
- Drop 1/3 cup scoops of the dough 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet.
- Brush biscuits with heavy cream and sprinkle generously with turbinado sugar.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Mix together the sliced strawberries, 1/4 cup white sugar, and lemon juice in a large bowl. Allow berries to rest until a juicy substance develops (about 30 minutes).
- Serve the strawberries and juice over biscuits.
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp. Confectioner’s sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
Click here for the recipe from allrecipes.com.
Eating strawberry shortcake while watching the NCAA basketball tournament…what could be better?