It’s official, the CDC has declared the flu an epidemic in the U.S. Now it’s time to fight back.
We’ll all be busy during the next six weeks. Wedding planning, bachelor and bachelorette parties to attend, and of course, the wedding itself. None of us has time to be sick so let’s all fight back.
If you haven’t gotten a flu shot, it’s not too late. It’s probably covered by your insurance and absolutely FREE, and since it’s offered at Walgreens, CVS, and Publix, you shouldn’t have to drive more than 5 minutes to find a location providing the vaccine.
However, if you feel sick, GO TO THE DOCTOR, ASAP! Anti-viral medications can be prescribed that significantly reduce symptoms and the time you’ll feel sick.
And there are precautions you can take to avoid getting sick:
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water. (The single most effective way to combat the flu.)
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Try to stay away from people who are sick.
- Clean and disinfect surfaces and objects that may be contaminated with germs that cause the flu. This is especially important at work – doorknobs, keyboards, phones should be routinely cleaned. (Don’t rely on others to do this. Remember, you’re fighting flu!)
- Cover your nose and mouth when you sneeze (coughing into your elbow is much better than your hand) but if you’re using tissues, make sure they make it in the trash and that you wash your hands, again.
- Gargle with warm salt water nightly. Not only does this prevent sore throats, it reduces respiratory infections by up to 40%.
You don’t have time to get sick so please fight the flu.