Sunday is World Oceans Day and one simple way you can celebrate our oceans is by taking a selfie. What could be easier? WorldOceansDay.org, the event organizers, ask that you take a selfie in which you share how you’re helping and then post the selfie on a social media site with the hashtag #WorldOceansDay.
Now don’t use the excuse that you’re now going to be at the ocean tomorrow! Here’s a list from the World Oceans Day website with suggestions of things you can promise to do to help the oceans that don’t require a trip to the beach to take a selfie:
- Promise to use reusable grocery bags.
- Promise to take shorter showers.
- Promise to only eat sustainably caught or farmed seafood.
- Promise to use a reusable water bottle.
- Promise to shop at a thrift shop before buying new.
- Promise to unplug electronics chargers when not in use.
- Promise to bike instead of drive for at least one errand a week.
- Promise to participate in a litter clean up.
Need a placard? Use this one or make your own.
As you can see there are many promises that can be made and selfies to be taken without a trip to the beach, but then again, if you need an excuse to spend tomorrow at the ocean or gulf…then go for it!
I’ll be looking for your messages on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram!